Tuesday, October 4, 2011

WWT - pick-ups for Week 5






Tap, tap, tap…. That’s the sound of me patting myself on the back. I'd blow my own trumpet but I'm getting married on Saturday and that would leave little for my future wife to do. Last week I did pretty well with my WWT pick-up list. I’d say I went 4-for-4 but you be the judge. Curtis Painter threw for 281 and 2 td’s, Stevan Ridley ran for 97 yds and a touchdown and almost added another, Antonio Brown caught 5 for 67 and Jared Cook went for 93 and a touch. The good news is if you’ve been reading the column and taking my advice you’ve probably made some good adds the past few weeks. The bad news is, I don’t see much to get excited about this week. This week is about looking ahead. If you’re in need of a bye week replacement for week 5 you won’t find him here. But if you want to know who you should be keeping an eye on and possibly adding to beat your competition to the punch, read on.

Tim Tebow (QB – DEN) – The pressure to play this kid is mounting ever so slowly in Mile High. I don’t necessarily know if I’d want him QB’ing my real team… (wait a sec… I might take him over Mark Sanchez at this point) but there is no arguing the point that this kid will put up major points in fake football. If and when he gets the chance to play real football, fake football owners will be drooling over this kid and wondering how he sat on waivers all year. Especially considering the tear he went on to end the year in 2010. John Fox likes to run, McGahee is good but Knowshon looks like poo on a stick. They need help in this area and the answer is on their roster listed at QB3, making Tim Tebow my POW Pickup-Of-the-Week. John 3:16 reads “For God so loved fantasy football that he gave the Broncos his only begotten quarterback, that whosoever picketh him up should not falter but go on to fantasy stardom.” Or something like that.

Bilal Powell (RB- NYJ) – Shonn Greene has shown us nothing at all this year. The Jets running game has sputtered, Mark Sanchez has regressed and the Jets are 2-2 and staring down the barrel of their season. Rex is pissed and he has declared they are going back to the Ground and Pound offense that brought them to the AFC Championship game 2 years in a row. I don’t think they can return to old form. But if they’re going to try, Bilal Powell might be the answer. This guy is way down on the depth chart on a team that has headline names that can’t produce. So why recommend him? Simply because there’s nobody else I like. Ryan Torain is a guy that should be available in your league and could produce going forward but the Skins have a bye this week.

Mark Clayton (WR – STL) – this is a preemptive strike against your opponents. Sam Bradford is struggling to execute Josh McDaniels offense but he’s not getting any help from his WR’s. Last year Sam and Mark hooked up for 23 for 206 and 2 td’s in about 4 games for an average of 5.75 receptions and 61 yards per game. I have a feeling that come fantasy playoff time Clayton could be a solid play. He won’t be available to play until week 7 as he is on the PUP list. The Rams have a bye this week and so if he comes back full strength in week 7 he could be a nice addition to your roster. If you need help this week check if any Houston WR is available. Kevin Walter or Jacoby Jones could be nice adds if they’re available in your league.

TE – there’s not much to get excited about at all this week at TE. I’m in need myself and Gresham is available and I’m hoping I win that waiver add. If you’re real desperate guys like James Casey (HOU) or Clay Harbor (PHI) could do. If Ben Watson(CLE) is available in your league I like him better than both the guys I just listed but he’s off next week. So not much help for you guys looking for bye week replacements.

4 comments:

  1. You did an excellent job on predicting pickups in week 4, was lucky enough to get both Ridley and Brown.:)
    I would like to ask you who to start in Week 5
    I would have to start 5 of the following WR/RB's next week. Who would you choose from LT, Stevan Ridley, Kendall Hunter or Ben Tate at RB? And Greg Jennings, Deion Branch, Antonio Brown and David Nelson the WR's? :) would like to hear your opinion. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Fantasy Scholar's knowledge is awesome. I used Tim Tebow for fun towards the end of my fantasy league last year since I didn't make playoffs and he put up good points.

    I go up against an undefeated team this week in fantasy so I have some decisions to make and need your help! Colston is now healthy but I'm hesitant to start him since we just don't know but one of my running backs has a bye so either I start McCoy, Addai, and Tolbert along with James Jones and Decker or I replace Jones, Decker, or Addai with Colston. What would be wise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colston was limited to 20-of-81 offensive snaps in Week 4 (24.7 percent), but he's going to be a full-time player this week after the Saints didn't even put Colston on the Week 5 injury report. The Saints face the Panthers this week. Colston is probably now the best bet for production in New Orleans' wide receiver corps. I would start Colston and sit your least productive replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good Guru! Thanks! So in that case, should I sit Addai or Tolbert? because I feel Jones and Decker will continue to be targeted a lot.

    ReplyDelete