Tuesday, September 20, 2011

WWT (Waiver Wire Tuesday) Week 3






Last week I hit on a few of my pick-ups… most notably and much to my chagrin, Steve Smith and Cam Newton put up solid #’s again. I own Smith and actually had him in my flex as Knowshon was out. So it was bittersweet to see him succeed. I was oh so close to putting Denarius Moore on the list as I’ve been watching him all preseason and Oak had their top 2 WR's and top TE out, but now it’s too late. Unless you have a top waiver priority you’ll likely miss out on him. He made me realize that I should be going out on a limb with my advice. So from here on out I’ll attempt to put BREAKOUT players on my WWT list before they breakout. So they have a higher likelihood of still being on waivers. This also increases the chances of these players being major BOOM/BUST candidates. But that’s what wins fantasy championships. Grabbing LeRon McClain this week after JC Superstar goes down is obvious and you don’t need me to tell you that. You can find countless other sites making those same recommendations. I’m here to help you zag, when everyone else is zigging.

Blaine Gabbert – It’s only a matter of time before this kid gets his shot. How on earth they though Luke McCown was starter quality is beyond me. He’ll have a decent supporting cast too.



Matt Hasselbeck – I like the longterm prospects of Jake Locker better than Gabbert but Hasselbeck is entrenched as the starter until his health fails him. Which could be next week for all I know. But until further notice, Matt is the starter and adds solid depth at the position and could even start for you if you’re desperate. He's amassed 260 and 360 yds respectively over the first two weeks of the season and this week he faces the Broncos.




Roy Helu – Tim Hightower is the unquestioned starter but I believe its only a matter of time before Helu earns a 50/50 split. We all know about the late round RB gems Shanny has produced and it seems as though he’s found another one in Roy Helu. He’s perfect for the zone blocking scheme they’re running. A savvy owner may have already acquired his rights. If not grab him now before someone else does.




Delone Carter – pretty much the same story with Carter. He’s cutting into Addai’s carries and it’ll soon be a 50/50 split. Or when Addai misses time like he inevitably does, Carter will step in and grab hold of the starting role. Even without Peyton the starting RB in Indy is flex worthy. Donald Brown is garbage so he’s not a concern.

Eric Decker – if he’s not on a roster yet, he will be tomorrow morning. Put a bid in for him if he’s available. Lloyd has a groin issue and if he’s slow to recover he’ll get increased targets again. Orton trusts this youngster and the Broncos should be playing from behind pretty often with that shoddy defense.




Antonio Brown – Brown seems to have passed Emmanuel Sanders on the depth chart and I’m not sure he’s ever going to look back. He lit it up in the preseason but he’s now starting to make good on his promise when it counts. He’s not startable yet but grab him now before it’s too late. He’s my POW Pickup-Of-the-Week.

Jared Cook – this kid that has been compared to Calvin Johnson in ability by his old coach Steve Spurrier. The new staff raved about him all offseason and I think his role will increase as the season progresses. Get in on the ground floor.

3 comments:

  1. I'm leaning towards starting Decker.. Do you think it would be wise to start him over Julio Jones? Also, Jordy Nelson or Deion Branch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if we're talking about the same roster here but I wouldn't hesitate to start Decker over Julio Jones. As for Jordy or Deion, Deion has been targeted heavily with Hernandez in the lineup. With him sidelined I don't see him being phased out. Quite the contrary. So roll with Decker and Deion. - Fantasy Scholar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Fantasy Scholar! :) I'm always needing advice on my receivers each week and this is a great place to go. I actually have two teams so Decker & Jones are in my money league and Jordy & Deion are in the free one. Plus, if Tolbert is out in the 1st league then I might have to use both receivers

    ReplyDelete